Middle and High School students looking for volunteer hours—or who are interested in learning more about the work and mission of the ODC—are encouraged to join the new “VoLes” Volunteer League! This club-like program is designed for 12-18 year olds who will work with a staff member on a variety of indoor and outdoor tasks for 6 meetings, one Friday and one Saturday for 3 three months.
Volunteers will spend time caring for our captive wildlife, improving the nature preserve by removing invasive species and installing native plants, and a number of other activities that further our goal of connecting people with nature.
No prior experience or participation required to sign up; however a signed Behavior Guidelines Agreement and Photo/Liability Release Form is required in the registration process. When registering, you are signing up for all 6 meetings in the club. It is okay if a club member cannot make one of the days, an ODC staff member needs to be aware so they know how many supplies are needed for each day.
2018 Schedule – Summer
- Saturday, June 16 – 10 AM to 1 PM
- Friday, June 29 – 3 – 5 PM
- Saturday, July 14 (Water Festival)
- Friday, July 27 – 3 -5 PM
- Saturday, August 11 – 10 AM to 1 PM
- Friday, August 24 – 3 – 5 PM
Preparing for Volunteering
Materials Provided by the ODC
- protective work gloves
- insect repellent
- eye protection (if needed)
- trimmers, loppers, hand saws
- hauling, bagging materials
Other Items to Consider (not provided)
- long pants/sleeves
- work/rubber boots
- gloves/personal protection gear