Assistant Teacher, ODC Preschools
TITLE: Assistant Teacher, ODC Preschools
REPORTS TO: Site Director
STATUS: Part-time or Full time, and school year or balanced year
START/DATE: August 2022
Overview: The ODC Network is a nonprofit organization focused on outdoor education and conservation throughout West Michigan. The ODC Preschools are nature-based preschools operated by the ODC Network in Allegan and Ottawa County. ODC Preschools provide early childhood learning opportunities for children aged 3-5, building social emotional and academic skills within a unique natural environment with an emphasis on nature based inquiry and outdoor exploration.
ODC Network Diversity Policy Statement: The ODC Network is an equal opportunity employer. Click here to read our diversity statement.
Purpose: The Assistant Teacher will work with the Lead Teacher to provide a high-quality, developmentally appropriate nature-based preschool experience for children ages 3-5 and work actively with ODC Network staff to ensure children have a strong connection to nature.
- Serve as assistant for assigned preschool classes.
- Examples of activities include: interacting with students in nature and the classroom setting, engaging students in learning activities, preparing snacks, and maintaining a safe learning environment.
- Partner with Lead Teacher and other assistants in development and planning of age-appropriate learning activities, such as small groups/enrichment activities for individual children and outdoor activities, based on nature-based curriculum and philosophy.
- Assist Lead Teacher with organization of outdoor and indoor classrooms and learning resources.
- Facilitate/lead daily small group learning activities.
- Actively participate in large group activities, nature hikes, and explorations.
- Complete daily anecdotal note taking.
- Participate in staff meetings, staff professional development events, and other ODC Network events
Professional Responsibilities: Maintain educational and training requirements for preschool licensing and quality program assessments.
Supervision/Evaluation: Supervision and evaluation will be provided by the Preschool Director and Lead Teacher. This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated interest in helping to teach and develop young children and early childhood education.
- Interest in nature and being outdoors.
- Willingness to spend a significant amount of time outdoors each day, in all types of weather.
- Demonstrated good character, responsibility and suitability to meet the needs of children with diverse backgrounds and learning differences.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team.
- Must pass a complete Michigan background check, including fingerprinting.
- Current certification in First Aid/CPR, training will be provided if needed.
- Bilingual English/Spanish speakers are highly encouraged to apply.
Physical Demands: This position requires the following physical activities: pushing, pulling, climbing, walking, standing, squatting, stooping, kneeling, twisting, reaching, sitting, lifting, bending, finger dexterity, grasping, repetitive motions, talking, hearing and visual acuity. The work/teaching is performed indoors and outdoors. Additionally, this position requires occasionally lifting up to 50 pounds and walking, standing, and sitting for extended periods of time.
Equipment Operated: Must be proficient with Microsoft Office applications, Google, and the operation of general office equipment.
These job responsibilities represent only the essential and most significant duties of the position. This job description does not exclude other work assignments, directives and responsibilities not mentioned above.