Teacher, Hatchlings Childcare
Title: Teacher, Hatchlings Childcare
Reports To: Childcare Manager
Status: Part time or Full time, Full Year
Start Date: Immediately
Starting Pay: $16 – $18/hour
Application Deadline: Applications must be submitted by December 9, 2022
Overview: The ODC Network is a nonprofit organization focused on outdoor education and conservation throughout West Michigan. The ODC Network runs a childcare program for their staff called Hatchlings. The ODCN is looking for a person with a genuine love for young children and a commitment to high quality care and who is talented, enthusiastic, and motivated to be part of our team. Teachers at Hatchlings staff childcare must be willing to spend time outdoors in all weather with their students!
ODC Network Diversity Policy Statement:
The ODC Network is an equal opportunity employer. Click here to read our diversity statement.
Purpose: The Childcare Teacher will work with the Childcare Teachers and Manager to provide a high-quality, developmentally appropriate nature-based preschool experience for children ages 6 weeks – 5 years old and work actively with ODC Network staff to ensure children have a strong connection to nature.
- Serve as a teacher for assigned childcare classes.
- Examples of activities include: interacting with students in nature and the classroom setting, engaging students in learning activities, preparing meals and snacks, and maintaining a safe learning environment.
- Change the diapers of toddlers/infants and manage potty training needs
- Partner with Childcare Teachers and Manager in development and planning of age-appropriate learning activities, such as small groups/enrichment activities for individual children and outdoor activities, based on nature-based curriculum and philosophy.
- Assist with organization of outdoor and indoor classrooms and learning resources.
- Facilitate/lead daily small group learning activities.
- Actively participate in large group activities, nature hikes, and explorations.
- Complete daily anecdotal note taking.
- Communicate with parents about their child’s development and daily experiences
- Participate in staff meetings, staff professional development events, and other ODC Network events
Professional Responsibilities: Maintain educational and training requirements for childcare licensing and quality program assessments.
Supervision/Evaluation: Supervision and evaluation will be provided by the Childcare Manager. This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated interest in helping to teach and develop young children and early childhood education.
- Strong decision making skills to respond to emergencies or difficult situations
- Interest in nature and being outdoors.
- Willingness to spend a significant amount of time outdoors each day, in all types of weather.
- Demonstrated good character, responsibility and suitability to meet the needs of children with diverse backgrounds and learning differences.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team.
- Must pass a complete Michigan background check, including fingerprinting.
- Current certification in First Aid/CPR, training will be provided if needed.
- Experience working with children and families
- Minimum of current CDA or Associates in Early Childhood or Child Related Field or working towards
Physical Demands: This position requires the following physical activities: pushing, pulling, climbing, walking, standing, squatting, stooping, kneeling, twisting, reaching, sitting, lifting, bending, finger dexterity, grasping, repetitive motions, talking, hearing and visual acuity. The work/teaching is performed indoors and outdoors. Additionally, this position requires occasionally lifting up to 50 pounds and walking, standing, and sitting for extended periods of time.
Equipment Operated: Must be proficient with Microsoft Office applications, Google, and the operation of general office equipment.
These job responsibilities represent only the essential and most significant duties of the position. This job description does not exclude other work assignments, directives and responsibilities not mentioned above.