Assistant Teacher, Dragonflies Discovery Preschool
Title: Assistant Teacher, Dragonflies Discovery Preschool
Reports To: Dragonflies Discovery Preschool Site Director
Status: Part Time to Full Time depending on applicants interest, and school year or full year calendar available
Start Date: August 2023
Application Deadline: Applications must be submitted by February 28, 2023
Overview: The ODC Network is a nonprofit organization focused on outdoor education and conservation throughout West Michigan. The ODC Preschools are nature-based preschools operated by the ODC Network in Allegan and Ottawa County. ODC Preschools provide early childhood learning opportunities for children aged 3-5, building social emotional and academic skills within a unique natural environment with an emphasis on nature based inquiry and outdoor exploration.
Purpose: The Assistant Teacher will work with the Lead Teacher to design and implement developmentally appropriate high quality nature-based early childhood education for children ages 3 – 5 and work actively with ODC Network staff to ensure children have a strong connection to nature.
– Serve as an Assistant Teacher for assigned preschool classes;
– Interact with students in nature and the classroom setting, engage students in learning activities, prepare snacks, and maintain a safe learning environment;
– Partner with Lead Teacher and other Assistant Teachers in development and planning of age-appropriate learning activities, such as small groups/enrichment activities for individual children and outdoor activities, based on nature-based curriculum and philosophy;
– Communicate when appropriate with families in person or via email, phone call, or Child Pilot;
– Learn and implement social emotional skill building through the Conscious Discipline Model;
– Assist Lead Teacher with design and organization of outdoor and indoor classrooms and learning resources;
– Facilitate/lead daily small group learning activities;
– Actively participate in large group activities, nature hikes, and explorations;
– Complete daily anecdotal note taking and enter into an online system;
– Willingness to work alongside undergraduate teaching candidates;
– Participate in staff meetings, staff professional development events, and additional ODC Network events.
Professional Responsibilities: Maintain educational and training requirements for preschool licensing and quality program assessments.
Supervision/Evaluation: Supervision and evaluation will be provided by the Preschool Site Director, Director of Support Services and Teaching Colleagues. This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
– High School Diploma or GED required;
– Current Preschool CDA or Associate’s Degree in Early Childhood Education, Child Development or a Child Related Field preferred;
– Experience working with children.
Other Skills and Abilities:
– Demonstrated interest in young children and early childhood education;
– Interest in nature, nature-based inquiry and learning;
– Willingness to spend a significant amount of time outdoors each day, in all types of weather;
– Demonstrated good character, responsibility and suitability to meet the needs of children with diverse backgrounds and learning differences;
– Demonstrated ability to work in a team;
– Must pass a complete Michigan background check, including fingerprinting.
– Current certification in Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR. Training will be provided if needed;
– Bilingual English speakers are highly encouraged to apply;
– Naturalists and those with a CDA or Child Development Accreditation are highly encouraged to apply.
Physical Demands: This position requires the following physical activities: pushing, pulling, climbing, walking, standing, squatting, stooping, kneeling, twisting, reaching, sitting, lifting, bending, finger dexterity, grasping, repetitive motions, talking, hearing and visual acuity. The work/teaching is performed indoors and outdoors. Additionally, this position requires occasionally lifting up to 50 pounds and walking, standing, and sitting for extended periods of time.
Equipment Operated: Must be proficient with Microsoft Office applications, Google Suite, and the operation of general office equipment.
These job responsibilities represent only the essential and most significant duties of the position. This job description does not exclude other work assignments, directives and responsibilities not mentioned above. The ODC Network is an equal opportunity employer. Click here to read our diversity statement.