Little Hawks Discovery Preschool is a nature-based preschool program for three and four-year-olds that began through a partnership between the Hamilton Community Schools and the ODC Network. The preschool is located on the Outdoor Discovery Center’s 155 acre site. Children spend time outdoors each day, learning through active play and exploration.
The Mission of the Little Hawks Discovery Preschool is to provide a quality early childhood experience that prepares young children to be active, independent learners who have knowledge of and an appreciation for the natural world.
We believe that children are natural learners, eager to explore and create. The teaching staff promotes early learning by:
- Providing a natural environment that enables and encourages discovery, experimentation, and the opportunity to see the results of one’s actions.
- Structuring a program that includes many opportunities for children to be outdoors, learning and exploring, reflecting the research that supports the advantages of these experiences.
- Offering opportunities for children to connect with nature while developing the skills of the whole child, as well as children’s individual abilities and interests.
- Encouraging problem solving and reflection by asking open-ended questions and providing information in response to children’s ideas, observations, and questions.
- Assisting children in their interactions with each other and supporting opportunities for learning to work in a group.
- Appreciating and celebrating the unique individuality of children and families.
Little Hawks Discovery Preschool is located within the Outdoor Discovery Center’s Nature Preserve at 5678 143rd Ave, Holland. Our phone number is 616-393-0949.