Title: Lead Teacher, Seedlings Discovery Preschool
Reports To: Site Director
Status: Full Time, Full Year
Start Date: Resumes are accepted until the position is filled
Starting Pay: $40,000 – $55,000
Overview: The ODC Network (ODC) is a nonprofit organization focused on outdoor education and conservation throughout West Michigan. The ODCN will be adding child care at our downtown Holland location called Seedlings Discovery Preschool. The ODC is looking for a person with a genuine love for young children and a commitment to high quality care who is talented, enthusiastic, and motivated to be part of our team. Teachers at Seedlings Discovery Preschool must be willing to spend time outdoors in all weather with their students!
Purpose: The Lead Teacher will work to provide a high-quality, developmentally appropriate nature-based preschool experience for children ages 2.5- 3.5 and work actively with ODC staff to ensure children have a strong connection to nature. The Lead Teacher will be responsible for designing and implementing an outdoor learning environment where child led play is the focus.
● Supervise and monitor the safety and development of children.
● Interact with students in nature and the classroom setting, engage students in learning activities, prepare meals and snacks, and maintain a safe learning environment.
● Change the diapers/pull ups of children and manage potty training needs
● Develop and plan age-appropriate learning activities, such as small groups/enrichment activities for individual children and outdoor activities, based
on nature-based curriculum and philosophy.
● Organize outdoor and indoor classrooms and learning resources.
● Plan and lead large group activities, nature hikes, and explorations.
● Complete daily anecdotal note-taking.
● Communicate with parents about their child’s development and daily experiences
● Participate in staff meetings, staff professional development events, and other ODC Network events (some of which may be scheduled outside normal work hours).
● Document child’s day using the Procare App Professional Responsibilities: Maintain educational and training requirements for child care licensing and quality program assessments.
Supervision/Evaluation: Supervision and evaluation will be provided by the Site Director.
Other Skills and Abilities:
● Maintenance of a healthy, safe, and positive environment for staff and children
● Collaboration with parents, children and colleagues
● Demonstrated interest in helping to teach and develop young children and early childhood education.
● Strong decision making skills to respond to emergencies or difficult situations
● Commitment to learning in nature and being outdoors.
● Willingness to spend a significant amount of time outdoors each day, in all types of weather.
● Demonstrated good character, responsibility and suitability to meet the needs of children with diverse backgrounds and learning differences.
● Demonstrated ability to work in a team.
● Ability to pass a complete Michigan background check, including fingerprinting.
● Current certification in First Aid/CPR, or willingness to receive training if needed.
● Experience working with children and families
● Preferred Credentials: Bachelor’s Degree or Associates in Early Childhood or a Child Related Field
● Minimum Credentials: Current Preschool CDA
Physical Demands: This position requires the following physical activities: pushing, pulling, climbing, walking, standing, squatting, stooping, kneeling, twisting, reaching, sitting, lifting, bending, finger dexterity, grasping, repetitive motions, talking, hearing and visual acuity. The work/teaching is performed indoors and outdoors. Additionally, this position requires occasionally lifting up to 50 pounds and walking, standing, and sitting for extended periods of time.
Equipment Operated: Must be proficient with Microsoft Office applications, Google, and the operation of general office equipment.
These job responsibilities represent only the essential and most significant duties of the position. This job description does not exclude other work assignments, directives and responsibilities not mentioned above.
ODC Network Diversity Policy Statement: The ODC Network is an equal opportunity employer. To read our diversity statement, go to: click here