TITLE: Seasonal Naturalist
REPORTS TO: VP of Programming
STATUS: Full-Time, Seasonal
START/END DATE: May-August (specific dates TBD)
The Seasonal Naturalist serves as an at-will, seasonal, full-time employee of the ODC Network; a West Michigan based outdoor education and conservation organization. This position assists at the Outdoor Discovery Center, DeGraaf Nature Center, and other off site locations. The primary job responsibilities are assisting with natural history programs, summer camps, and caring for captive live animals. The Seasonal Naturalist is responsible for supporting the mission of the ODC Network through these activities in addition to being a positive representative of the organization in the community.
- Ability to work with groups of various ages
- Knowledge of interpretive techniques and interpretive program planning
- Experience working with live animals including reptiles, amphibians, fish, insects, mammals, and birds
- Knowledge of the flora and fauna of the Great Lakes region
- Experience in kayaking, archery, and leading groups
- Ability to multitask, adapt to change, develop plans and timelines and complete goals
- Strong ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- Ability to use Microsoft Office and Google Drive products effectively
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with the setup, facilitation and clean-up of general programs
- Assist with the facilitation of camps, kayaking, programs and public presentations
- Assist with captive animal husbandry and feeding
- Greet visitors and manage the visitor experience from the ODC Visitors Center and DeGraaf Nature Center
- Support the overall goals of the organization
- All other duties as assigned by the VP of Programming, and the executive management team
- Working toward or received a degree in environmental education, natural sciences, biology or a related field
- Must pass a background check, have a valid driver’s license and be fully insurable by the ODC Network
- Requires the ability to work outside in various weather conditions
- Must be able to occasionally lift to 50 pounds and walk, stand, and sit for extended periods of time
These job responsibilities represent only the essential and most significant duties of the position. This job description does not exclude other work assignments, directives and responsibilities not mentioned above.
ODC Network Diversity Policy Statement: The ODC Network is an equal opportunity employer. Read our diversity statement.
Applications will be accepted through Monday, February 25.