TITLE: Naturalist Intern (Summer 2022)
REPORTS TO: VP of Programming & Wildlife Manager
STATUS: Part-Time, Seasonal
START/END DATE: May-August (specific dates TBD)
The Naturalist Intern is an unpaid, seasonal position. This position assists at the Outdoor Discovery Center, DeGraaf Nature Center, and other various off site locations. The Naturalist Intern’s primary job responsibilities include providing animal care and husbandry, assisting with programming and assisting other staff in meeting the overall goals of the organization. An interpretive project may be developed as part of the experience with approval by the VP of Programming and the sponsoring college or university which supports the mission and goals of the organization.
- Varying, average between 4-12 hours/week
- Ability to present ideas effectively (general comfort with public speaking)
- Strong ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- Computer skills including a working knowledge of Microsoft Office software and some social media applications
- Working toward or obtained bachelor’s degree in natural sciences, biology, parks and recreation or related field
- Willingness to work with live animals including reptiles, amphibians, fish, insects, mammals, and birds
- Willingness to work with groups of various ages
- Must pass a background check, have a valid driver’s license and be fully insurable by the ODC Network
- Requires the ability to work outside in various weather conditions
- Assist with the setup, facilitation and clean-up of general programs
- Assist with the facilitation of camps, kayaking, programs and public presentations
- Assist with captive animal husbandry and feeding
- Support the overall goals of the organization
- All other duties as assigned by VP of Programming, Wildlife Manager, or executive management team
These job responsibilities represent only the essential and most significant duties of the position. This job description does not exclude other work assignments, directives and responsibilities not mentioned above.
ODC Network Diversity Policy Statement: The ODC Network is an equal opportunity employer. Read our diversity statement.
Applications will be accepted through March 28, 2022.