Transportation Driver, Little Hawks Discovery Preschool
Title: School Transportation Driver
Reports To: Preschool Site Director
Status: Part Time, September-May
Start Date: September 2023
Schedule: Monday – Thursday, 12pm-1pm and 3:30pm-4:30pm (or as determined by route)
Hourly Rate: $20 – $25 per hour
Applications accepted until the position is filled.
Overview: The ODC Preschools are nature-based preschools operated by the ODC Network. Little Hawks Discovery Preschool is located on the southside of Holland at the Outdoor Discovery Center, Seedlings Discovery Preschool is located in downtown Holland, and Dragonflies Discovery Preschool is located on the northside of Holland in Park Township. The ODC Network is a nonprofit organization focused on outdoor education and conservation throughout West Michigan. ODC Preschools provide early childhood learning opportunities for children aged 3-5, building academic skills within a unique natural environment with an emphasis on nature based inquiry and outdoor exploration.
Purpose: ODC Preschools is seeking a reliable, responsible and friendly driver to transport preschool age children to and from Little Hawks Discovery Preschool following a scheduled route. This school driver will transport children in a school owned minivan and ensure students’ safety, vehicle maintenance, follow safety and traffic rules and maintain a positive transportation environment for all children.
- Safely transport children to and from school;
- Maintain and monitor proper carseat and vehicle safety;
- Manage transportation route provided by ODC Preschool timely and consistently;
- Attentive to traffic and weather conditions to ensure passenger safety;
- Adhere to safety rules;
- Maintain and inspect exterior and interior of the vehicle daily;
- Monitor and report fuel consumption, mileage and passenger numbers;
- Assist children entering the vehicle, exiting the vehicle, and walking to their assigned classrooms;
- Communicate delays and emergencies promptly to the Preschool Site Director;
- Communicate about scheduled changes in the route pick up/drop off time with families;
- Maintain a clean and organized vehicle.
Supervision/Evaluation: Supervision and evaluation will be provided by the Preschool Director.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Must pass a background check, have a valid driver’s license and be fully insurable by the ODC Network
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Must pass complete childcare background check, including fingerprinting
- Willingness to complete and maintain necessary trainings
- Current certification in First Aid/CPR, or willing to obtain
- Valid State of Michigan Chauffeur’s license
- Clean driving record
- Physically able to evacuate students
- Experience working with children preferred
- Demonstrated good character, responsibility and suitability to meet the needs of children and families
- Bilingual English/Spanish speakers are encouraged to apply
Physical Demands: This position requires the following physical activities: pushing, pulling, climbing, walking, standing, squatting, stooping, kneeling, twisting, reaching, sitting, lifting, bending, finger dexterity, grasping, repetitive motions, talking, hearing and visual acuity. The work is performed indoors and outdoors. Additionally, this position requires occasionally lifting up to 50 pounds and walking, standing, and sitting for extended periods of time.
Equipment Operated: Vehicle, child safety restraints, safety equipment including a fire extinguisher
These job responsibilities represent only the essential and most significant duties of the position. This job description does not exclude other work assignments, directives and responsibilities not mentioned above. ODC Network Diversity Policy Statement: The ODC Network is an equal opportunity employer. Read our diversity statement.